Tuesday, September 7, 2010

Sunflowers

Fall Garden is finally in!
WHEW!
Didn't plant radishes this year
But did try Swiss Chard.  We'll see how that goes
If nothing else, it looks cool

 I just kick myself for not taking a picture earlier
By the time I did, the flowers were bent over
But here are my amazing Mammoth Sunflowers
Didn't think they would grow in the time they had left
But thought, whatever, we'll try
And I didn't keep track of when they started
But seriously, I think it was like 3 weeks
I mean it was FAST
It seemed like every day they grew full foot
And the stalks were as big as a tree
When the flowers were up, I bet they were 10 feet tall...
COOLEST THING EVER!

So we harvested the seeds on Saturday
Again, top 10 in Gardening experiences
Totally amazing!
Did you know that the seeds are literally just sitting there?
It's like a big honeycomb thing and the seeds just pop out
And then we dry them from here and that's it!
They start out all wet and white like this
Trying to figure out a way to plant a whole forest of them next year...
Coolest thing ever.

No comments:

Post a Comment